Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
Did you know that according to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, approximately 30% of adults in the United States suffer from insomnia? Of those who suffer from this sleep disorder, more than a quarter say that insomnia worsens their lives.
Some of the common symptoms of insomnia include:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Waking up frequently during the night
- Trouble concentrating or focusing on tasks
- Feeling tired or not well-rested during the day
There are several causes of insomnia. For many individuals, everyday life can contribute to the inability to fall asleep. This may include daily stress and anxiety or environmental factors such as noise, light, or an uncomfortable sleeping environment. Fortunately, changes in one’s daily routines can be enough to overcome the negative effects of insomnia.
Unfortunately, for others, the root cause may be more challenging. Certain medications, including some antidepressants and pain medications, or irregular sleep schedules due to work requirements can make it seem as if there is no hope in sight.
Luckily, if you're struggling with insomnia, there are several treatments available. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which can help address underlying thoughts and behaviors that contribute to insomnia, is available at many therapeutic clinics. Prescription medications and sleep aids are also available to tackle some underlying medical conditions.
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that can have a significant impact on daily life. If you're struggling with insomnia, don't hesitate to speak with your healthcare provider about available treatment options. With the right approach, you can get the sleep you need to feel rested and perform your best.
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.